Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Batey Nef


Hey all, I found the internet but I don't have a lot of time so I am going to make this quick... Bullet points go!

  • The cancha inauguration was amazing, our youth and the community of El Chorro made us look so good, they didn't really need us at all but it was nice of them to give us some of the credit.
  • CBT ended, very sad, good times with good people. Definitely won't forget it.
  • We had our swearing-in ceremony, the acting U.S. Ambassador was there, as was the Peace Corps country director and all our host families, technical trainers, and language facilitators. Lots of words of encouragement for our two years of service and a nice way to wrap up training.
  • Had two days in the capital after swearing-in to wrap up things, pack our stuff, and say goodbye to our host families. Everyone stayed in hotels the last night before departing to our sites, we (the youth crew) found a great one: cheap with balconies everywhere and roof access. We spent our last night together as a group drinking, dancing, eating pizza and basically being loud drunk Americans with an amazing Caribbean breeze blowing and keeping us cool. It was great. We also swam at the embassy pool the next day, unbelievable.
  • Then we departed to our sites. I like my site a lot, great people and I found a great little park area with a bench where I can read. Love it. Have had 5 youth group meetings already and am starting English classes this week. Soccer everyday and co-ed volleyball this friday. Not going to have time to do my community diagnostic but oh well.
  • Got bed bug bites all over my body, not so fun.
  • Had a week of Kreyol training, starting over with a new language also isn't very fun, but hopefully someday I will be as functionally bad at Kreyol as I currently am at Spanish.
  • I have the world's worst farmer's tan, lots of sun+t-shirt= not a good look for me. No beach days in sight to fix it either.
  • Batey 9 is surrounded by sugarcane fields, with mountains in the distance. It is actually very pretty. Sorry no pictures yet, gotta get on that.
  • Better update to come, gotta write the post before I get to the internet next time.
P.S.
  1. I have a cell phone! and I have service at my site most of the time! Those who are interested can call me at 1.809.723.2761. Simple, no country code or anything like that.
  2. Here is another link to some more of Kerri's pictures from CBT... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2225887&id=1615070&l=73e448ac65
  3. I am not funny when I write, quite the opposite in fact. I apologize but I am afraid that I am just a boring writer. But the good news is my friend Duncan is a hilarious writer. So read his blog and just know that that is how I wish I could convey my experience down here to you all. Seriously, go to his blog right now and read all the posts. You won't regret it. http://duncanpeabody.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Your posts are great. I have read Duncan's blog and I find yours as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameron We Chris's parents are so happy that you are so happy and settled. Sorry to hear about the bedbugs. That happened to me not so long ago and it took weeks for the itch to finally leave. (sorry about that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey Mr Jones!

    How are things? Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance.

    I've been off of facebook for near a month, email woll be the best way to keep in touch for the time being.

    ReplyDelete